Winter Edwardian Gown

Tomorrow the DFW Costumers Guild heads to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History to see the Titanic Exhibition. I decided that since my previous Edwardian gown was more spring like, I needed a more winter look. This outfit doubles as my contribution to Challenge #1 of the Historical Sew Fortnightly group on Facebook.

Pattern: Folkwear 265 (with modifications)
Fabric: Dress – satin, tunic – cotton velvet, trimmed with faux mink and beaded trim


Front of the gown – I used pleats instead of gathering. I also made the straps a bit wider. I decided not to make the belts or bows. I’m in my 40s – I don’t need a bow on my rear-end. I also decided not to add the sash (it would drape over the belt under the bodice.


Back of the gown. You can see here the pleats I decided. All that still needs to be done is add fasteners. The pattern suggests a zipper, but zippers were still uncommon in 1913, so I’m going to use hooks and eyes.


You’ve already seen what the tunic looked like without the fur trim on it. The main change I made to the tunic was shortening the length of the back and slight changes to the sleeves.


The tunic is now finished! I added some trim that has small pearls in it.


Closeup of the velvet with the trim.

I’ll post a photo of me wearing it tomorrow.

One thought on “Winter Edwardian Gown

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s