Missy progress: I will be able to use the muslin mock up as the black outfit that is worn by Michelle Gomez in Season 8 of Doctor Who.
I used Burda 7169 as the base of the coat (adjusting for screen accuracy – the jacket needs to be fitted and the bottom of the jacket is curved rather than straight) and Folkwear 232 as the skirt.
The shirt is still in the works as I have discovered by viewing screen shots that her shirt in the black suit is a striped black and white rather than solid white. According to the screen images, she only wears the spiky bracelet but does wear several rings. I also have a parasol frame that I will be recovering in black. I still need to find more accurate black trim for the collar and sleeves.
Now to wait for the purple boucle wool to be shipped from Vogue Fabrics.
For a last minute outfit suitable for wearing at the DFW Costumers Guild’s Mourning Tea, Butterick B6108, was a quick and easy costume to make. (Sorry, the photo of Kayle wearing it was at the end of our very long day and she was whooped!)
We purchased the blackish-brown taffeta yesterday at Golden D’or for about $5/yard. The bit of lace also came from Golden D’Or. The velvet was from my stash. The white shirt she’s wearing under the suit is actually the shirt she wears for the 8th Doctor. The total cost of this costume was about $30. The shoes (not worn in the photos) are Victorian replica boots.
Once Kayle had all the pattern pieces cut out, actual sewing on the outfit took less than 4 hours.
I finished my bracelet for the Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere from upcoming Doctor Who episodes today.
For the base of the bracelet, I purchased and inexpensive Tibetan Silver bracelet off eBay for 99¢. I had already placed an order for some kato polyclay from Fire Mountain Gems (as well as the glaze to finish it).
Since the silver clay was, well, silver, I mixed and blended black clay into it.
Then I worked the clay into the bracelet, smoothed it out, took 3 small balls of clay, flattened them and added them to the bracelet.
I’ll know once it’s cooled if it was a success. If it was, then I’ll apply the glaze.
This is what I am planning on wearing for the Breakfast at Tiffany’s brunch at CLW2014 later this month.
Printed Pattern 4637 was designed by Anne Adams and was sold in newspapers in August 1969.
The pattern has gone together beautifully so far. I still need to put the sleeves in; the side zipper; the collar; and the facing. Oh, and a blingy button!
And the fit is perfect!
The fabric is silk that I purchased from the upholstery section of Hancock’s several years ago.
Completed Kouyama Mitsuki
Check out the new page for this costume! It’s complete except for the wings (which will be completed for A-Kon 26).
My eldest decided 2 weeks before our major convention that she wanted to add Kouyama Mitsuki from Full Moon o Sagashite to her list of costumes. Very short notice, but I think we’ll make it.
The patterns used were Burda 7348 (OOP) for the top and McCall’s M6570 for the skirt.
Modifications to the top:
– lengthened collar
– zipper instead of buttons
– faux fur added to the sleeves and base of top
Modifications to the skirt:
– left off lower band of skirt
– faux fur added to waistband
– changes to waistband (no bow)
Photos in order of progress:
A completed photo will be posted after A-Kon 25 this weekend.
A-Kon 24 was my grandson, Trystan’s, first convention. He was 2 months old and made a very adorable Moogle. A Moogle is a creature from Final Fantasy. Lulu, from Final Fantasy X, uses a Moogle as a weapon. My oldest daughter cosplays Lulu and wanted her little boy to be able to participate with her.
Last year, his costume was simple – a Onesie that we added purple, felt wings to and a t-shirt that we converted to a hat and added a red pom-pom to.
He’s now almost 14 months old and this will be his 3rd convention. (He also went with me to All-Con.) We used Simplicity 1767. The wings will be made from a poly satin and the pom-pom has been replaced with a red, sequined styrofoam ball.
More pics to follow once the costume has been completed.